I attended Tokyo CGM Night in Harajuku last night, and at one point in the evening ended up chatting with some people about podcasting. While I haven't been regularly* involved in a podcast before, I have been collecting podcasting tools over the years just in case.
I'm hoping that someone in the Japan scene (or the China scene for that matter) does take up the challenge. So to that end, I'm going to publish some podcasting resources here. I'm sure they'll come in handy for somebody out there. Above all else, I recommend using a USB mic because a direct connection to your computer's system board will cut out any potential fan noise that you might see with a regular mic.
So here's my list. If you have any resources to add, please list them in the comments.
- dimdim.com Free Netmeeting and screensharing.
- drop.io --- particularly dropcasting, quite possibly the easiest route to getting yourself on iTunes
- podtrac.com If you hit a point where you want advertisers, this may be the way to go
- cinch + blogtalkradio
- powerpress Wordpress podcast plugin
- wordpress audio player plugin
- how to publish an iTunes podcast
- Embeddable Audio Players Very useful!
- Seesmic.com (For anyone who wants to do short video blogs, I really recommend this)
Update: One extremely useful tool that I forgot to mention is drop.io's voicemail feature. Every account is assigned a telephone number, and if you call in it will record your call to mp3. If you were to first call drop.io using Skype, and then conference on your podcast co-hosts, you'd be all set. Factor in the dropcasting feature that I mentioned above, and you'll be a hit on iTunes in no time!
Update 2: Here's a super-useful post about how to do quick and easy podcasting using an iPhone, GarageBand, and Posterous.com.
Music & sounds ¶
- InBflat.net (I really like this one!)
- audacity The best (free) audio editor out there
- Pamela Skype Recorder